Friday, March 19, 2010

Linguine Bolognese


My husband and I love Italian food, I think we could eat almost everyday of the week. We went on our honeymoon to Italy and we both gained like 10 pounds, because we couldn't stop eating! I especially love pasta, and bolognese is one of my favorites. My husband makes this recipe for me and I swear I could eat the whole pot by myself, but I do show a little restraint. Here is the recipe:
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 carrots, diced small
2 celery stalks, diced small
1 medium yellow onion, diced small
1 pound ground sirloin
1/2 pound ground veal
salt and pepper to taste
6 oz. tomato paste
3/4 cup red wine
1 tablespoon of fresh thyme
5 oz. milk, (we use lactose free low fat milk, but you can use any milk, just not skim)

In a heavy saucepan, heat olive oil on medium high, add carrots, celery, and onion and cook until onions are translucent. Add the meats to the pan and add salt and pepper. Cook until the meats are browned. Stir in tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes. Add wine and cook for another 3 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and add the fresh thyme. Stir in the milk and simmer for 30-45 minutes.
Meanwhile bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the linguine and cook until done, about 7 minutes. Reserve a little bit of the salted, starchy pasta water. In a large bowl add the linguine and bolognese with a little bit of the pasta water and stir until the pasta is well coated with the sauce. Serve with Parmesan or not :).

No comments:

Post a Comment