Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Did someone say Swedish Meatballs???



One of my favorite comfort foods is Swedish Meatballs. I can remember when I was probably about 10 or so my grandma made Swedish Meatballs for me and it was the most exciting combination of flavors. From that point on I fell in love with them. They are so rich and decadent, I love the flavor of the seared meatball crust with a hint of allspice and nutmeg coated in that rich and creamy sauce with the fresh burst of dill. You got to give it up to the Swedes for this mouth watering goodness. So last night I made my version of Swedish Meatballs, I say my version because it is cream free. Since everyone knows I am a Lactard. Here is my recipe, now keep in mind I dont do any measuring when making this dish, so I am going to try to get the measurements as exact as possible for you guys:

1/2 yellow onion diced
3 tablespoons of unsalted butter
1 egg beaten
1/4 cup of bread crumbs
1/4 cup of milk (i use lactose free low fat milk)
1/2 pound of ground pork
3/4 pound of ground chuck
1/4 teaspoon of allspice
1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon of fresh ground black pepper
1 teaspoon of kosher salt
3 tablespoons of olive oil
1/4 cup of flour
2 1/2 cups of chicken stock or beef stock
1 tablespoon of fresh dill chopped
1 package of egg noodles

1. Take the chopped onion and saute in a pan over medium heat with 1 tablespoon of butter until onions are soft and a little caramelized. Set aside to cool.
2. In a large bowl beat the egg, add the breadcrumbs and milk and stir to combine. Then add your pork, beef, allspice, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Mix well until everything is incorporated. Form your meatballs into 1 oz. portions, they should be on the smaller side that way they don't take as long to cook.
3. Meanwhile fill a large pot with water and put on high heat covered until water starts to boil. Add 1 tablespoon of salt to boiling water. Drop noodles in water and cook until done. Drain noodles and set aside.
4. Heat a large skillet with 3 tablespoons of olive oil on medium high heat. Place meatballs in the hot pan and brown on all sides. Once the meatballs are browned on all sides take out and place aside on a plate.
5. Turn your heat down to low and add 1 teaspoon of butter and 1/4 cup of flour to the pan drippings. Scrape the drippings from the bottom of pan to form a paste with the flour and butter. Cook for a few minutes until the flour starts to brown. Then slowly add the chicken stock to the flour with a whisk. Whisking the flour and stock together until smooth. Stirring occasionally until sauce starts to thicken about 10 minutes. Once sauce is thickened add remaining butter and put the meatballs back into the sauce. Cook on low for another 5 to 7 minutes or until meatballs are cooked all the way through. Turn the heat off and add your dill to the sauce. Serve over egg noodles immediately. Serves 4
ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment