Saturday, May 22, 2010

Banana and Strawberry Muffins with Crumb Topping



Here is yet another great way to use up those overly ripe banana's! I feel like I post a lot of banana recipes but that's only because I love banana's. That's pretty much my go to fruit. This was the first time I made these muffins and I think they came out pretty good. I used frozen strawberries, but next time I think I will try fresh strawberries. This recipe was adapted from the Every Day Home Cook blog.

For the muffins:
1/3 cup lactose free milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil or canola oil
1 large egg
2 medium ripe bananas, mashed
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
12 frozen strawberries or 6 fresh strawberries, halved

Crumb topping:
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons cold butter

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a 12 cup muffin pan with baking cups. In a large bowl, beat together milk, oil, and egg. Add mashed banana and mix well. Stir in flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt; just until mixed. Batter will be lumpy. Fill muffin cups up half way with batter. Place a strawberry in center of each muffin. Cover with remaining batter. To make crumb topping, cut butter into flour and sugar until crumby. Top batter with crumb topping. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown, and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack.
Makes 1 dozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment