Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Chocolate Cupcakes with Banana Butter Icing



So I acquired the best chocolate cake recipe ever! Thanks to my sister in law's Aunt Mary Anne and Granny. This is a family recipe that has been passed down from generation to generation and I promise if you try this you will know why. It is the most moist and light cake, you will feel like its almost good for you! :) Aunt Mary Anne makes versions of this cake for every one's birthday's and I think every one's most excited about eating the cake more than opening presents! So it was an honor that they shared this family recipe with me, hopefully I do them proud.
So instead of making a cake I took this recipe and cut it in half to make chocolate cupcakes for my Uncle Leon's Birthday which is today. And I had some bananas that need to be eaten or else they were going in the trash so I decided to try a banana butter icing..which is more like a glaze rather than frosting. Then topped the cupcakes with mini chocolate peanut butter cups. I have to say for the first try I think the flavor combination is pretty good. But you have to like banana because the icing does not have a subtle banana flavor. Oh and one other note the cupcakes are very delicate so I would suggest once they have cooled to put them in the fridge for an hour before you ice them.
Here is the famous cake recipe cut in half from the original: Makes 12 cupcakes
1/3 cup butter softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cups sifted flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup boiling water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg until light. Add vanilla. In a different bowl, sift the flour three times with cocoa, baking soda, and salt (I honestly didn't sift these I just made sure that there were no lumps in the cocoa). Add dry ingredients to butter and sugar mixture alternately with buttermilk. Add boiling water last. Spoon batter into muffin tin lined with cupcake liners. Bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

For the Icing:
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1/4 cup mashed bananas
1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1 5/8 cups confectioners sugar
Cream together butter, banana, lemon juice, and vanilla. Slowly beat in confectioner's sugar, adding more if needed. Consistency is more like a glaze.
Ice the cooled cupcakes over parchment paper so the excess drops onto parchment paper and put in the fridge for the icing to set about and hour.

1 comment:

  1. Awe, thank you for acknowledging my family recipe, and I KNOW you did Aunt Mary Anne & Granny proud. I'm still trying to get that chocolate frosting recipe for you. Mary Anne has been busy. The banana icing alternative sounds wonderful & looked beautiful! You are an amazing cook and baker. I'm still obsessed with the Martha brownies. :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete